Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Kingfishers and WoodPeckers with smartphones

This post is not at all about the bird but about an incident.

It is a funny thing how our parents whom we always perceive to know everything can be ignorant about certain things. For instance, smartphones. My dad sets up alarm on two phones as 1. clock alarms are outdated 2. we have an habit of going back to sleep after the time the alarm goes off. Trust me it is a bliss to get that 5 - 15 min of sleep and worth the haste in which we need to get ready to leave the house for the day.

So coming back to the 2 phones my dad sets alarms on. One is his Nokia phone. well it is a qwerty keyboard and can take in a memory card. But his kids i.e. we flicked it. His only criteria was that the font should be large enough for him to see even without his glasses. The second phone under consideration is my mom's - because I dont stay at home and my bro is too secretive about his phone. That is an issue all together. Will come back to it one day.

Moms are better to adapt themselves to the smart phones than dads. This is a general trend that I have seen. Even though they have been exposed to computers more than moms of the previous generation, still they seem to struggle with the smartphones. I got mom, a smartphone Samsung Galaxy series and Trust me I was apprehensive how she was going to manage navigating into various menus. Within one month, she was hooked on to temple run and next year she was demanding a tab. And currently, you would find her sending candy crush invites to everyone on her list. Her awareness of family members has reached a totally different level, thanks to FB. I hear the same from my room mate about their mother too.

Ok, finally with this background, we come back to the alarm. So in the morning, Dad's Nokia alarms. Dad without even bating his closed eyelid, snooze it with a precision that would put bomb diffuser into shame. He goes into his slumber. He just starts to shift between Non-Rapid Eye Movement (NREM) Sleep and Rapid Eye Movement (REM) Sleep that the second alarm goes. He jerks to wake up just as if he was a robber and he tripped an alarm. Close enough :P Well Samsung Galaxy doesnt have the luxury of straight snooze. He has to open the menu by "swipe"ing across the screen. Now this is the nightmare of a task for him.

He tries to swipe as if something was stuck to the screen but no how can a smartphone be so simple. It doesnt budge. Well dad wants to go back and get few more mins of sleep before mom physically comes to wake him up. ( I still havent got it, then why even have the alarm in the first place. Dad thinks that is a back up in case mom forgets to wake up ) And the alarm is coming in the way of doing exactly that. He gets frustrated and starts pecking the phone like a woodpecker. Hahha this is the most hilarious scene. One day, me and my bro are planning to shoot this, which mean i would have to get up early. That is the precise reason I dont have the video yet. :) Ciao.






No comments:

Post a Comment